Friday, November 20, 2009

Any Other Suggestions

Yesterday Ava had speech at my Mom's house and my Mom informed me it was horrible.  Ava screaming, throwing herself on the floor, not cooperating.  This whole speech thing has become mind numbing.  It is constantly back and forth, it's good, it's not good, it's good, it's not good.  Ava's review meeting with first steps is December 9th.  I am not scheduling any more visits until after this time.  I go back and forth with this therapist, I want to get a new one and then I don't because Ava will have a good visit.  But honestly, Ava has been in speech for almost 7 months and the only thing she can say without being prompted is Mom and more.  I also go back and forth with myself thinking should I just let it go and let her talk when she is ready?  Should I keep pushing for more answers?  Am I overwhelming her with all the bombardment trying to get her to talk?  Is Ava frustrated with me?  Is there something really wrong with her?  I didn't sleep much last night because of this mess, and it didn't help Bert didn't get one of the jobs he interviewed for because they said he was overqualified whatever that really means.  He still has not heard back from the other one.  My positive attitude is hanging on by a thread.  I always remind myself things could be a lot worse.  All I have to do is turn on the news to assure myself of this. 

Back to Ava's speech, here is what I have done so far after the horrible speech visit on Friday.

Called East Louisville pediatrics to speak to her doctor again, because they keep recomending first steps and I would like another answer.

Called Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Center because they work with young speech delayed kids, and of course they recommended first steps and I told them the story, so they are getting back to me on Monday.

Emailed Uof L Star Autisim program to have her tested to see if they could work with her or see if maybe she does have some mild form of Autism. (no one panic I really don't think she is autistic and i would be fine if she was i don't consider it a curse.)

Scheduled a formal hearing test at Suburban with Doctor Brown November 30th.  I know she can hear and her speech therapist doesn't think this is the problem but this lets me officially rule it out.

I am writing this post because if anyone knows of anything else to try or do or suggest PLEASE let me know.  I don't care what it is I will take any and all suggestions.

I know most of you will say switch therapists but the thing is, they all come to your house and do pretty much the same thing.  I think we are going to say goodbye to first steps.  Ava needs to go somewhere she is not familar with I think, but I don't know where that place would be, if I decide to persue any more therapy period.

 

'



3 comments:

  1. Well, she did just turn 2, right?  You may be surprised that if you just let her do her thing she will start talking before you know it--Xander did not say much before he was 2 and then his speech really took off right after his birthday.  Now, it's amazing to hear the conversations you can have with him and all the new vocabulary he's developed.  Zach is 16, going on 17 months now and doesn't have much in the way of a vocabulary, but I am not worried one bit--I know it will come.  It may be hard, but try not to worry so much...my mom always said I didn't talk well into my 2 year stage, and when I finally did I spoke in complete sentences...but until then, my grandma always had something to say about it.  Good luck with your decision--Ava is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I think it's great that you're being so proactive. Maybe she is just a late bloomer in regards to speech, but I think it's good that you're ruling out the other possibilities. My brother wasn't speech delayed but he had a pretty big speech impediment. I don't think anyone besides me and my parents could understand him. He went to speech therapy at Easter Seals (now Cardinal Hill), and they were fantastic. By the time he started pre-school you couldn't even tell he had ever had a problem. I also think it was good that it wasn't in the home, because it provided a more structured learning environment, which he needed. Given this was many, many years ago, but I bet they've probably only become more advanced with the services they offer. Anyhow, good luck. Ava's beautiful.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one knows your child as well as you do. So you go with your gut instincts. You are a great mother and you will do the right thing. Ava is precious and she has you to thank for that!

    ReplyDelete